SharePoint 2013 – Command Prompt has been disabled by Administrator

This one is more than Windows Server Settings than SharePoint Server but since I encountered while configuring SharePoint 2013 server I decided to blog about it.

Sometimes when working with Windows Server 2008 R2 higher (requirement for SP 2013 :)) you will notice that you cannot use command prompt. When you try to use command prompt you will get an error “Command prompt has been disabled by Administrator”.

This is nothing but group policy setting that is set so that you cannot use the command prompt.

Two ways you can fix this.

1) Open your Run command and type GPEdit.msc. If running Run command gives you an error then use option # 2.

2) Start windows PowerShell command prompt as Administrator and then type GPEdit.msc.

This will open group policy editor.

User Configuration –> Administrative Templates –> System and double click “Prevent access to the command prompt”

Make sure you select this policy is disabled. Even if it read Not Configured try setting it to Disable.

This should fix the issue.

SharePoint 2013 – The specified list item could not be found. Make sure that the URL and the list item ID are valid, and then try again.

Recently I was assigned an issues at one of our client which was related to SharePoint 2013 and Reporting services integration mode. The client was running Reporting services in SharePoint 2013 integration mode.

After publishing report to SharePoint when you open the context menu for any report and click Manage data sources it was throwing an error which read:

“The specified list item could not be found. Make sure that the URL and the list item ID are valid, and then try again. “

We tried redeploying the reports but that did not help. On further research we found that for whatever reason it was adding an extra semi-colon in the URL


Notice the semi-colon just before the ID parameter. If you remote the semi-colon the page will work just fine but that was not the solution that I was looking for.

After some research it was found that the Reporting Services was not configured properly and hence the error.

The solution in this case was to re-install Reporting Services component.