If you are currently using Basic Authentication for application access, then you are required to migrate to Certificate based authentication prior to mid February.
Microsoft is rolling out this change and it should be completed by early March. With this update, Security and Compliance PowerShell will enable configuration of certificate based authentication to allow unattended app-only access.
To migrate to certificate based authentication follow the steps below:
- Step 1: Register the application in Azure AD
- Step 2: Assign API permissions to the application
- Step 3: Generate a self-signed certificate
- Step 4: Attach the certificate to the Azure AD application
- Step 5: Assign Azure AD roles to the application